OUR MISSION & VISION
EMPOWERING SOCIAL VISIONARIES TO CREATE A MORE CONNECTED WORLD
All around the world, there are emerging leaders, like you, who are moved to take action. All too often, causes are started with great passion, but do not create any real or lasting change. The visions that do succeed in the long run are rooted in meaningful human connectivity and strong fundamentals in running an organization. They also have strong spiritual foundations connecting them to each other and to a higher purpose.
We believe that spirituality is critical to the foundation of great leadership. Awareness of the meaningful connections we all share allows us to collectively build and transform communities. We saw the need for an educational forum that could bring these aspects of success together—where the fundamentals of wisdom and experience are bridged with cutting-edge business skills and then applied immediately in a community context.
So the Applied Wisdom Institute was born.
Our mission is simple: to inspire, educate and empower a rising generation of social change agents. We believe that change is not only sparked but sustained through the combined power of wisdom and spirituality. We will challenge you to uncover and embrace emotional courage, entrepreneurial skills, authentic leadership, empathy, inclusivity, and experiential wisdom to fuel your vision.
Welcome to the Applied Wisdom Institute
There is an urgent need for social change agents who can effectively lead in a rapidly changing economic, sociopolitical and technological world. Our focus is “Wisdom in doing, and doing in wisdom.” Combining practical business knowledge with spirituality will magnify your drive to inspire and move others. We walk with you in your spiritual journey, and give you the tools to succeed. Join us and take action.
WISDOM IN DOING, AND DOING IN WISDOM
We believe that wisdom is gained through experience. Applying what you’ve learned is everything. The Applied Wisdom Institute is a praxis-oriented training ground for social action where we challenge our students to grow through hands-on learning and cross-pollination of ideas with others in their cohort. With every course, seminar, or certificate, you will reach new depths of understanding and new heights in your ability to create change. This is an educational space for people who feel a deep resonance in their soul to leave the world a better place than they found it.
SPIRITUALITY AND INTERCONNECTEDNESS
Often wisdom and ethics are not fully appreciated for their roles in successful movements and organizations and consequently are rarely taught. However, we believe that spirituality is critical to the foundation of great leadership. Awareness of the meaningful connections we all share allows us to collectively build and transform communities. The Applied Wisdom Institute’s Thought Leaders model how spirituality can initiate and sustain positive change.
EXPAND YOUR NETWORK
The two most common experiences of a social entrepreneur are loneliness and frustration: loneliness because one’s spirit yearns to make a difference for people who need it; frustration because passion does not always come with competencies in communication and business acumen. We are intentionally creating a community of people to surmount that- people who understand the isolation of a vision, and the problems of carrying out that vision because of a lack of resources in financials and skills.
Top scholars and fellow students will share not only their intellectual capital, but their real-world experience in creating an online and face-to-face experience of shared competencies and like visions to make us all better. The goal is the creation of a network of connected and caring people who support one another in their passion projects for the good of our common humanity.
OUR UNIQUE LEARNING MODEL
Our model is simple and effective: Learn + Apply + Collaborate. Immerse yourself in a learning experience led by expert faculty. Apply your skills in your community context with a professional mentor. Collaborate with your peers and partners to develop a well-connected network.
WISDOM SEED CONFERENCE
WISDOM SEED GRANT
HOW DOES IT WORK?
DATE & LOCATION
November 8-10, 2018
WHAT'S THE APPLIED WISDOM INSTITUTE LEARNING FORMAT?
Each module is made up of the following:
- 4 – 6 weeks of online classes
- 3 – 4 weeks of online mentored experience of your community project
- 3 days of in-person seminar
HOW LONG DOES AN ONLINE CLASS LAST?
- Classes typically will range from 1 ½ – 3 hour sessions over 6 to 8 weeks.
WHAT'S ONLINE AND WHAT'S IN PERSON?
- Each certificate module has synchronous class and project mentoring sessions that occur online.
- And, each certificate module will either begin or end with a three day in person seminar with the Thought Leaders.
WHAT EXPENSES ARE INCLUDED IN THE FEE FOR THE IN-PERSON SEMINAR?
- Food and lodging are included. Travel is not.
DO YOU HAVE TO ATTEND THE IN-PERSON SEMINAR?
- Only if you want the certificate, otherwise it’s not required.
CAN A MODULE BE USED FOR CREDIT AT ANOTHER ACADEMIC INSTITUTION?
- Maybe! We do not provide academic credit at this time, but you can check with your institution and we will help you with any materials or paperwork required.
ARE CEU'S AVAILABLE?
- Yes! Check with us about the requirements of your governing body.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SPIRITUALITY? DO I HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS?
- People all over the world have differing definitions of being spiritually connected. Your cohort will include a wide range of people in different places on their spiritual journey. There is strength in all of these differences, which is why you are here to learn from these perseptives. We believe that spirituality is a reverence for the interconnectness of us all.
CAN I DONATE A SCHOLARSHIP OR WISDOM SEED GRANT?
Yes! We are a 501c-3 not-for-profit organization. You can donate to a general fund, provide scholarships, or give a Wisdom Seed Grant to help along a vision that inspires you. Funding for the Applied Wisdom Institute is provided by The Alexander Montgomery Foundation. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW IS THE WISDOM SEED GRANT AWARDED?
- The Applied Wisdom Insitute instructors and participating angel investors will choose 1 (one) certificate graduate based on effectiveness of proposal, ability to create real and lasting change, and the level of challenge or risk in your passion. Even failed projects may be brilliant in the learning.