Participants will gain insights and competencies to effectively manage the first task of any LGBTQ/LGBTQ-allied organization– the creation of safe space. Safe spaces include physical, social, emotional, spiritual and legal. Seminar topics address language; community-based boundary creation; respect of beliefs, values, and spiritual backgrounds; and legal parameters.
Registration Fee: $400
At the conclusion of this course, the student will be able to:
• Discuss the challenges and benefits of GSAs (Gay/Straight Alliances) in creating and sustaining safe spaces
• Analyze anti-bullying programs for youth and develop new strategies for a changing world
• Compile/recommend guidelines for creating safe spaces
• Prepare implementation plans for safe space creation and maintenance
• Explain the differences in safe-space creation for different ages and walks of life, e.g. for elders, in workplaces, in schools
• Assess a target community for available social services and how, in the creation of a safe space, alliances/collaborations can be created to better serve stakeholders
• List 10 common implicit biases/pre-conceived notions and tactics to navigate through them
• Explain cultural barriers to safe spaces and develop strategies to surmount them
Implicit biases around safe spaces
Multi-perspective frameworks of understanding trauma
Best practices in LGBTQ Leadership for acceptance and collaboration
Family-centered care of an individual
Fostering healing journeys from the trauma experienced as a marginalized person
Psychotherapy with gender and sexual minorities
Identifying and working with Trust agents and gatekeepers in marginalized communities to offer services, e.g. counseling, housing, material resources, case management
$400 for this module
The Certificate in LGBTQ Leadership was designed for mission-driven individuals. aspiring leaders. teachers. and community activists committed to allying with LGBTQ communities.
Seminar participants meet over the Internet using browser-based conferencing software.
4/1/20 – 5/1/20
5:00p-6:30p Pacific Time
Online modules are delivered through the Cisco WebEx conferencing system on the Internet. These meetings are live / synchronous. All participants are visible to each other and engage in the conversations through the system.